Thursday 26 September 2013

Master's blog, stardate 2013.269

September 25th found us at the Armourers’ Hall for the Michaelmas Court and lunch.  The business of the Court was completed in good time and included discussions about my proposal that the Company looks for initiatives that will create opportunities for change.  I have re-established the Masters Committee which I trust will be a productive think tank in the years ahead.  We have got off to a flying start, see my full address at the lunch, which will be on the web site soon.  Our principal guest was Dr Rosalind Smith who just fascinated us with her review of John Snow’s life; it would be very good to have the chance to listen to her on another occasion.  I was very pleased that we raised £750 towards our Chaplain’s work on improving sanitation in Africa under www.toiletttwinning.org 

I will be writing to you all soon about our decision to publish ‘Reflections on water’ in hard copy as a recognition of the contribution that Nick Reeves made to the Company so I am taking this opportunity as well to tell to you that this book will ‘say’ a great deal about our Company too.  We will need several £000s so I do hope that I will get a willing and generous response.

In the evening I was pleased to attend the Plumbers’ Autumn Festival in Clothworkers’ Hall.  The event was a dinner to celebrate the contributions made by the lady partners of company members; it was a delightful evening which followed the general pattern of Livery celebrations, good food, good wine along with excellent company and entertainment.  We must be well prepared to render Laudi Spirituali at our banquet when we will be encouraged to sing in 4-part harmony so please have a look at the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment