Tuesday 12 November 2013

Master’s blog, Stardate 2013.315

Last week broke into life with the Banquet on 05 November and a Trust meeting on the following day.  Friday saw me back in London with David in readiness for the Lord Mayor’s Show.
I was told by everyone that the banquet in Vintners Hall was most enjoyable, well I enjoyed it and from where I was sitting the whole atmosphere seemed relaxed.  Our principal guests were Alderman and Mrs Andrew Parmley and Andrew provided one of his masterly and witty performances.  I had decided not to match Andrew’s ready wit so my contribution was personal and heartfelt.

I was thrilled and surprised that Mr Beadle introduced the Master in Welsh.

The entertainment was provided by friends from Ruthin, the ap Owen family.  The twin girls Manon and Lleuwen stole everyone’s hearts with their beautiful playing of the harp and then singing to their father’s accompaniment on the piano.  The performance was quite exceptional and especially praised by Andrew.  I was delighted when Hedd their father told me a day or two later that they had had no idea what to expect at a Livery function and were overwhelmed by the friendly and family-like reception.

The Vintners Company looked after us very well indeed.

The Lord Mayor’s Show was marked by a morning of steady and heavy rain from the moment that we set off.  I was delighted that David and I were joined by Thames Warden Roger North who, along with Christine had spent Friday making a new signboard for us; many thanks to you both.  The excitement of the crowds dispelled any discomfort caused by the rain.  I found the last half mile on the return journey tough going.  I ‘completed the course’ and a few minutes later in London Wall I met familiar faces in the form of the Renter Warden of the Glass Sellers and then our Chaplain.  When you take part in the parade you see little of what is going on except at the start in the marshalling area when there is plenty to see and friends from other Companies to talk to.


No comments:

Post a Comment