Tuesday 6 May 2014

Master’s blog, Stardate 2014.126

I mentioned the 100 Club lunch in my last entry.  Well it was a very friendly and informal event in the hall of the Information Technologists.  I was ‘on my feet’ responding on behalf of the guest for just a few minutes.  There were seven Masters in attendance, along with eight clerks and members of the Court of the World Traders.
The following morning I met Judy Ling Wong to discuss possible projects for the Trust and then I attended a lunch at Goldsmiths’ Hall.   This lunch is an annual event that follows the Trial of the Pyx; which is of very ancient origin and involves the Assay Office conducting an examination of the coinage and reporting its verdict.  The principal guest was the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, who made an interesting and what I thought was a light hearted speech.  The chancellor has attended every year.  I was sitting close to Miss Ransome Wallis, the Art Director and Curator at Goldsmiths who was interested in my stories about Hugh Myddelton, the lead mines and his chalice in Ruthin.   After lunch she took to me to see the portrait of Sir Hugh by Cornelius Janssen.  I also met the Assistant Librarian Eleni Bide who was most pleased to send me images of the portrait.  I have included one here.
Image, courtesy of The Goldsmiths’ Company

I also met the Right Reverend Graeme Knowles, who recognised me as a Water Conservator; I confess that I was wearing my tear drop; he is an honorary member of the Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment