Friday 4 July 2014

Master’s blog, stardate 2014.185

My wonderful year has come to an end, I quite liked being Master.  In my report to the Installation Court I commended the role of Master to our Court Assistants and told the Court that being Master was one of the most important services that a liveryman can provide for the Company. 

The year ended in a bit if a rush.  During week beginning 23rd June I was in the Mansion House on the Monday attending an event organised by Natural Resources Wales where our deputy master Peter Mathews is chief executive.  After attending so many livery events where I gradually came to know many people I knew no one at Peter’s event save for a few Conservators; the strangeness of the situation struck me quite forcibly.  On Tuesday I had a good morning along with my Thames Warden; we took breakfast at Haberdashers and then attended Common Council to elect sheriffs for the ensuing year.  This event is restricted to Liverymen on the pain of imprisonment if you are not a Liveryman.  I was pleased that Andrew Parmley, who is our honorary liveryman, was elected; then we were off to lunch on the Wellington where we were entertained by the Worshipful Company of Master Mariners to a very good curry lunch.  On the Thursday I was back in London for my ‘Master’s Dinner’ when I entertained the partners of the Court at Waterman’s Hall.  Friday saw me and David at a private lunch at the Mansion House, guests of the Lord Mayor’s Consort Mr Nicholas Woolf.  It was quite a small gathering, just 11 of us, and exceptionally pleasant.  I was in Cardiff Castle on the Saturday night as a guest of Alan Longhurst, Master of the Constructors Company for their dinner during a Company visit to South Wales.

Finally it was on to the Installation Court and Lunch, where did that year go?

No comments:

Post a Comment